For Login :http://delnet.in/ABOUT DELNET
DELNET was started at the India International Centre Library in January 1988 and was registered as a society in 1992.
It was initially supported by the National Information System for Science and Technology (NISSAT), Department of Scientific and Industrial Reseach, Government of India. It was subsequently supported by the National Informatics Centre, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India and the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
DELNET has been established with the prime objective of promoting resource sharing among the libraries through the development of a network of libraries. It aims to collect, store, and disseminate information besides offering computerised services to users, to coordinate efforts for suitable collection development and also to reduce unnecessary duplication wherever possible.
DELNET has been actively engaged with the compilation of various Union Catalogues of the resources available in member-libraries.It has already created the Union Catalogue of Books,Union List of Current Periodicals, Union Catalogue of Periodicals,CD-ROM Database,Database of Indian Specialists, Database of Periodical Articles, Union List of Video Recordings, Urdu Manuscripts' Database, Database of Theses and Dissertations, sample databases of language publications using GIST technology and several other databases. The data is being updated in these databases and is growing rapidly. All the DELNET databases have been resident on DELSIS, an in-house software developed on BASISPlus, an RDBMS, the product of Information Dimensions Inc. of USA which has been provided to DELNET courtesy National Informatics Centre, New Delhi.The Main Objectives of DELNET are :
- To promote sharing of resources among the libraries by developing a network of libraries, by collecting, storing and disseminating information and by offering computerised services to the users
- To undertake scientific research in the area of Information Science and Technology, create new systems in the field, apply the results of research and publish them
- To offer technical guidance to the member-libraries on collecting, storing, sharing and disseminating information
- To coordinate efforts for suitable collection development and reduce unnecessary duplication wherever possible
- To faciliate and promote delivery of documents manually or mechanically
- To establish /facilitate the establishment of referral and /or research centres, and maintain a central online union catalogue of books, serials and non-book materials of all the participating libraries
- To develop specialised bibliographic database of books, serials and non-book materials
- To develop databases of projects, specialists and institutions
- To possess and maintain electronic and mechanical equipment for speedy communication of information and delivery of electronic mail
- To coordinate with other regional, national and international networks and libraries for exchange of information and documents